Fountain Pen Tip #1 - How to Refill an Ink Cartridge
You know that feeling of dread you get when you run out of ink in your fountain pen at the most inconvenient time?
Not only is it annoying but it’s often untimely! I always seem to run out of ink when I most need it!
Most cartridge converters don’t hold a lot of ink. Of course, some brands are better than others, but oftentimes the good old ink cartridge holds way more ink than your standard converter.
Unfortunately, ink cartridges aren’t great for the environment (or the pocket!) and let’s face it, the amount of ink colour options isn’t exactly overwhelming...
So, what to do if you want to use your bottled ink but don’t want to run the risk of your pen running dry?
There is an answer!
Simply refill your empty ink cartridges with whatever ink you like!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- A blunt syringe (or something similar)
- An ink cartridge
- Bottled ink of your choice!
And here are the steps I follow to make this procedure as simple and mess free as possible!
1. Make sure your ink cartridge is clean by using your syringe to flush it out with
2. Wait for the cartridge to dry or do what I do and give it a good shake to get the
water out! (I’m inpatient and fountain pen ink is mostly water anyway so...!)
3. Grab your bottled ink of choice and use the syringe to draw some ink out and
gently, squirt it into your cartridge.
4. Fit the cartridge back into your fountain pen and you’re good to go!
If you’d like to see a visual demonstration, I’ve put a short video together for you – just hit the YouTube link below.
Also, if you’re on the hunt for some fabulous new ink colours, you can check out our range of inks here
Products used in the video:
- LAMY Scala
- LAMY T10 Ink Cartridge
- Van Dieman’s Cobalt Blue Ink